top of page

What are Mycotoxins?

Crudely put, they are the toxic 'burps' of voracious, flourishing mold. Yes, our system deals with them. Guest blogger Mike Adams 'clears the air' on this subject.

We are often asked - Will your dry fog treatment kill Mycotoxins? Well, based on literally thousands of case studies of happy, healthy customers, the answer is a definitive yes. Mycotoxins are ridiculously small, so testing for them is very difficult. Explaining that we disrupt them is complicated but if you're ready, let's dive in..

First of all, let’s get one thing straight- mycotoxins are not alive, therefore; cannot be killed. Disrupted is probably the better term. Having said that, we can and do oxidize mycotoxins. InstaPURE is characterized by a very rapid action against all microorganisms and will inactivate gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, fungi, and yeasts in just a few minutes of dwell time. Furthermore, InstaPURE oxidizes sulfhydral and sulfur bonds in proteins, enzymes, and other metabolites. Simply stated, InstaPURE’S function of oxidizing sulfhydral and sulfur bonds in mycotoxins is the easiest explanation.

There is another practical element on the subject (and frankly, my favorite). Mycotoxins are a secondary metabolite (byproduct) of mold releasing enzymes to break down their food, consuming said food, and then releasing a “burp" if you will. The burp, is the mycotoxin. Therefore, by eliminating (denaturing) the mold through our process, we also remove the mechanism that releases mycotoxins.

Remember the maxim, “the solution to pollution is dilution”. Nowhere is this more true than within a home, once it has received the patented dry fog treatment.

Relative to the health aspects of mycotoxins, there are numerous mycotoxins produced by mold. Aspergillis produces Aflavus, Aflatoxin, and Ochratoxin. Stachy produces tricothecenes,. Chaetomium produces two different mycotoxins called chaetoglobosins A and chaetoglobosins C. All of the aforementioned are very common in water damaged buildings. Tricothecene or T-2 is exactly what Nerve Gas is made from. It is suspected to have been used in Laos and Cambodia in the late 70’s and early 80’s, and Afghanistan in more recent years. It has been described and aptly named “yellow rain”. It causes all kinds of health issues from nausea, sore throat, cough, difficulty breathing, bleeding disorders, and even death. It also is linked to various neurological problems. Obviously in the case of Yellow Rain, the concentration is lethal.

The study of mycotoxins within the indoor air industry is in its infancy. It has long been studied relating to livestock, agricultural commodities, and food supplies. Particularly the food or grain that cattle are fed. There is also a lot of coverage on peanuts having mycotoxins along with the mold. This is well documented, however; it has only recently risen to the attention of indoor air hygienists and the medical world associating indoor mold and mold toxicity.

A number of companies are working on “real time” mycotoxin testing with varying degrees of success. Rest assured that our technology is still the best defense for home owners who are being negatively affected by indoor mold, spores, bacteria, mycotoxins, and endotoxins.

All Clear Mold & Pathogen Solutions delivers a healthy indoor environment in just hours. Contact us today.


bottom of page